Bean and Bacon Soup
This hearty, homemade soup recipe is filled with vegetables and bacon!
- 8 oz. cherry hardwood smoked bacon
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 (15 oz.) cans Glory Farms Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
Steps to Prepare
- Cook bacon in a soup pot or Dutch oven until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel for draining. Discard all but 2 Tbs. of the bacon grease.
- To the hot bacon grease, add the yellow onion, carrots and celery. Cook over medium heat until they start to soften (after 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Stir in chicken broth and Glory Farms Great Northern Beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a bubble then reduce heat to low, and let soup simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove half of the soup to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Return puree to the soup pot.
- Add tomato sauce and 3/4 of the reserved bacon to the soup, and stir to combine. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Let the soup simmer until it is heated through. To serve, top with remaining bacon.